I shall start my simple living plans with things I am already doing, to motivate myself to keep doing them. I'm sure many ppl are already practising these things..
- Breastfeeding – So simple, green and frugal! Of course being a working mom creates the need for pumps, but from the money I’ve saved by not buying a single tin of formula, my pumps have already paid for themselves. Lets do a simple calculation. Ok I don’t really know how much formula costs…hehe..i think Along mentioned it’s about rm55 per week, so..rm220 per month. Adam is almost 14 months old…so in total I’ve saved RM3080!!! My plan is to breastfeed him until he’s 2 years old, God willing, so by then I would have saved…RM5280!!! (btul ke aku kire ni..) So lets say I have more than 1 kid….how much can I save?? And that is just money-wise…Remember the China-formula incident?? God, that made me think how lucky I am that I don’t need to give my baby formula…just think of all the goodness of ‘liquid white-gold’ that Adam would’ve had by the time he’s 2…alhamdulillah…
- Sewing – I’ve said time and time again how much I enjoy sewing. It is such a therapeutic and rewarding hobby. Not only do you get the soothing joy of the sewing process, you also get a beautiful craft as a result. It is the essence of a simple life. You can mend and refashion old clothes – I need to remind myself to do this instead of buying more clothes I don’t really need. You can sew your own pillows and curtains and bags etc at a fraction of its cost. Now sewing has even started to generate extra income for our family…alhamdulillah..
- Co-sleep – I don’t know if this actually fits with simple living but I think it does. We don’t need a cot, or an expensive king-size bed, the whole family just snuggle together on the floor on natural cotton mattress. It just came naturally to us even though before Adam came we bought a cot thought we needed it. Co-sleeping compliments breastfeeding and means more sleep for me! (since I don’t have to get up to feed baby or check on him).
- Homemade babyfood – Thank God for this website! I always suggest this website to anyone who wants to try out homemade baby food. Commercial baby food are not only expensive, they contain additives that we can’t even pronounce! I’m not sure how much money I’ve saved by preparing my own baby food…if you visit the website, you’ll see that it is manageable even if you’re busy too..
- Babywearing – The way of life in the olden days. I’m glad that it’s now gaining popularity. And also happy that I am now contributing to helping others wear their babies too..
Ok these are what I’ve been practicing before I discovered, or rather was reminded of, simple living. I will share more things later on what I’ve tried out....